Skip to main content

My NYSC Journey

 Being away from Port-Harcourt, l learned a lot of things. It made me a mother, a survival, too careful, calculating, and a lot l can't remember right now.

I met a lot of people and it changed my perspective and l also want to be around such people.

I traveled to Minna in April 2017 for NYSC. I wanted to redeploy but didn't want to stress my parents and l wanted to be far from home so l decided to stay back.

That was my first very long journey, and the first time l took the night bus (Chisco at water lines)-  their final destination was Abuja so for anyone going further have to alight before they go through Abuja road (l met two other girls going to Minna Paiko Camp) so it was a great journey. 

From Abuja, we took a bus to paiko but we had to wait for the bus to get filled up, we brushed at the park.

I didn't know anyone who had served and prepare for camp as l should have done (I realized this when I was in camp).

The camp was fun but l was still naive (the whole field and room was the only thing on my to-do list). 

I was serious with matching, skipped a few training (sadly, the one l wanted to do so bad ( the rope climbing, the fence jumping, crawling under the wire) l love crazy stuff.

 I love food, you would always find me in line for camp food ( l missed a couple of meals though). I met a course mate (Auguster), the clique then was Auguster, Chioma (one of the girls l met on the bus), Sonia and I've gotten the last person's name.

I was not too close to anyone so l was mostly alone. I didn't have any camp d but had a crush on a guy ( a poet and was a part of OBS). The crush ended in camp and we met just once after camp.


I was posted to Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University in Lapai (IBBUL). It was a good place but l was posted to be the secretary of the Pro-Chancellor so l had to move. 

I've made friends, crush 😊, and held role of a PRO in my CDS (Red cross which was every Thursday), l had a CDS close pal Chikwesili Faithful Onuora (he is married now) broke my heart a little because we kinda starting liking each other but l know it was my fault and hey he married a doctor like him and sometimes we talk.

I was the vice president of Winners Corpers followership and would have been the Vice President of NCCF but l knew l would be leaving Lapai, so l didn't push it.

I shared a house with 3 guys Ogechukwu (bonded well with him), Abdul (we were cool), and Joel (l still dislike him). I met doctor Chris. We were all placed in IBBU but doctors worked at the clinic and we were not in the same location.

 I love my location (mama Kure house).

I left for Minna l think in July and l had to stay in IBBU guest house until l got a place and moved out in October.

Though l left Lapai l didn't move my file to Minna, so l had my clearance done in Lapai and no more CDS for me. One thing l was given a sanction letter, l can't remember how we got that fixed but it was fixed.

When l moved out, l stayed in a house with 4 rooms and each room had a toilet (was more like a mini self contain. All 4 girls (blessing, Mimi, and l can't believe the third person's name) l am a private person, that's why l cook more in my room than use the general kitchen, l do some times though.

December of 2017/ January of 2018, l heard something they said about me, and l took my mind off them.

 I can love silly and but when l decide it's over, it is over.

I could stay in my house without going out to gist with them, they were the ones, Blessing mostly who complained about me staying indoors (kinda like the one l liked and might forgive but for now l don't even remember them much).

I learned how to eat wara (Mimi taught me) and Tuwo rice with stew (learned this from Mr. Kusheriki).

Before service, l made a long list of places to travel to, people to see but from my service year till l left l didn't even go to places in Minna had a reason though which l don't like.

I stayed back after service, got my first job as a secretary at JD Lab, and was paid 12,000. The full salary is 18,000 but due to lack of funds l was paid 12,000. During my service year, l was a writer, so l was already with the Lab. www.jdlab.ng.

Before l left JD Lab, l was one of the management team, the Chief Internal Operation Officer, and Chief Editor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Women Hate Working With Other Women

One of the reasons most Women hate working with women colleagues/ superiority is the fact that they can’t get away with being unproductive. An Istock Image by Fizkes A male superior might overlook some behaviors but a female superior won’t especially if the behavior is constant  When a male colleague complains about a female colleague, a male superior is likely to blame the man for fighting a woman and will remind the man that women are weak and they are stronger and ought to help them. So men rarely complain and they would finish any pending task of the woman to avoid talks from superiors  When a female complains about another female, male superiors will have to find a solution without placing the blame on anyone even if he tries to advise the oldest employee to be the bigger person- he knows he has to get to a 50-50 conclusion.  Now imagine a female reporting to a female superior. So most women would rather love to work with men that they can easily dump their tasks on than work wi

6 Type of Friends or People To Avoid

  Those who will never apologize. They can never say they are sorry. Those who make a mistake then blame you or someone else for their mistake. They would claim it was something you did that led to their action. They can’t accept responsibility.  Those who commit an error yet insist that they are still correct. I'm not sure if it's due to ignorance or a constant desire to be right.  Those who pretend they really want to help but behind your back, they are actually the ones declining your offer. They will give different ideas on ways to try, encourage you that you’re the best but won’t give you a chance People who hold back praise and badger but berate you when you fail. They shield your 99 good then share your 1 bad. If anyone is exhibiting any character you love and admire and sincerely want it to continue, then never cease to tell them, pride them, etc. Selfish people: the truth is we are all selfish, we want good things to happen to us. However, we can’t be oblivion to the f

A Poetic Formal Letter to MEMAC Ogilvy

Listening to Rory Sutherland (vice-chairman of the Ogilvy) sparked an infinite interest in marketing in a young writer/social media marketer who’s fantasizing about both of us getting married and building a home together. I am thrilled to say I want to be a part of you (an unpaid internship) position at MEMAC Ogilvy Dubai , United Arab Emirates.  I am passionate about the new meaning of marketing, making marketing Psychological rather than logical. I would love to channel my skills as a writer and Marketing Intern. I'm not going to presume that you don't give a damn about the other ladies I've been with. So, while in Nigeria, I was in a relationship with a Tech company ( JD Lab ) as a writer and social media marketer. I don't typically do this, however, I became intimate with another lady (TEDxMinna) as a writer and social media Team Leader. I swear it wasn't long. I was in charge of managing the social media profiles and producing material for them. These women an